- Story Ideas
- Send Corrections
Summer is the perfect time for lemonade. And when that lemonade comes from an Alex’s Lemonade stand – with the proceeds going to fight childhood cancer – it might just be a bit more refreshing and taste a little bit sweeter.
On Saturday, July 21, the shops at Sunset Professional Center in Exeter Township will co-host an Alex’s Lemonade Stand and community block party, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
In addition to the Lemonade Stand, there will be food, games, music, raffles, crafts and other family-friendly activities. Each merchant will also be offering various promotions to raise additional money for the Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation (ALSF).
Brian Williams is the owner of Your Claim to Frame. He has done Alex’s Lemonade Stands in the past, and brought the idea for the block party/fundraiser to his fellow merchants in the center, which is just off of Perkiomen Avenue at Sunset Manor in Exeter.
“I really like the whole concept behid Alex’s Lemonade Stand,” Williams said. “Alex’s story stuck with us. When you think about kids being struck by cancer and how resilient they are, that really struck a chord with us. I also like that they keep their administrative costs down.”
Williams said the lemonade will be sold by donation – whatever anyone feels they can give will be taken. Since this is the first time the merchants in the center are doing an Alex’s Lemonade Stand, Williams said there isn’t a goal for the day.
“It’s hard to set a goal for this first one, we don’t know how the community will react, but we know people are generous. We’re looking to raise what we can raise this year; hoping to raise as much as we can,” he added.
In addition to the lemonade and family fun, the merchants will be offering specials that will also support the ALSF:
• Carolyn’s Pretty Pups will be holding a dog Wash & Go from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday. Washes are by appointment or first come-first serve as time allows. Prices range from $15 to $45 depending on the size of the dog. They are also offering discounts on nail clipping and flea baths with the washes. A portion of all the sales will be donated to ALSF. Call 610-404-7877 for an appointment or more information.
• Creative Expressions Hair Studio will be selling discounted prepaid vouchers for haircuts from July 5 to July 21. A portion of the sales will be donated to ALSF. Call 610-582-1119 for more information.
• Back & Neck Clinic of Exeter will be donating a portion of any copays collected on Saturday to ALSF. Call 610-404-4442 for an appointment or more information.
• Strategic Wealth Advisory, LLC will be collecting donation throughout the month of July. Call 610-404-3014 for more information.
• Your Claim To Frame will be offering discounts on all custom framing orders placed on Saturday and will be donating a portion of all framing sales on Saturday to ALSF. Call 610-404-4640 for more information.
Williams also has a craft project planned for the kids. “Here at the frame shop we’ll doing a craft thing to do get well card for kids that we can then donate to hospitals,” he said.
Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation grew out of the front yard lemonade stand of cancer patient Alexandra “Alex” Scott (1996-2004). In 2000, 4-year-old Alex held a lemonade stand to raise money to help find a cure for children with cancer. Since then, the Foundation bearing her name has evolved into a national fundraising movement.
The Sunset Professional Center is located at 140 Sunset Manor Drive in Exeter. It is just off Route 422, one mile east of Walmart near the Sheetz gas station. Look for the yellow and blue balloons.